Written by Phil Brown. badger Bushcraft Saturday, 26 February 2011 11:04
This week we have been busy running the exceptionally popular Badger Bushcraft Family Learning Days for Maidstone Extended Services on our country farm site between Maidstone and Ashford in Kent.
Families came from far and wide including the following Kent primary schools:- Allington, Brunswick, East Borough, Harrietsham, Headcorn, Hunton, Kingswood, Leeds, Lenham, Madginford Park Infants, North Borough, Palace, Parkway, Platts Heath, Roseacre, St. Francis, Senacre Wood, South Borough, Sutton, West Borough and Yalding.
We were very fortunate with the weather for the most part, two of the days being fine although cloudy but sadly Wednesday was torrential rain for nearly of the day and the parachute shelter served its purpose by keeping most of the rain out!
The bushcraft and nature based activities included in the courses were:-
- Fire Craft
- Safe Fire Construction and Maintenance
- Plant and Tree Identification
- Small Mammal Feeding Signs
- Backwoods Cooking
- Examining Different Animal Skulls
- Nature Walk
- Atlatl - The Ancient Spear Throwers
Yet again it was really nice to see some “bushcraft professionals” coming back to see us once again – I think Dana and Ned have attended our badger Bushcraft Family Learning Day course four times now and it is always lovely to see them and to see some of the skills we have shared with you have been well remembered and put to good use!
We have uploaded all of the pictures to our photobucket account, links below:-
A selection of pictures from the bushcraft courses are featured below:-
Thanks also for you comments about the courses! It is always a pleasure to work with families and something we look forward to and it is most satisfying when we receive all of your feedback, some of which is we have included below:-
- “We had an amazing day – really well run and informative. Great day out!”
- “A fantastic day, Phil wasÂÂ brilliant!”
- “Excellent and enjoyable day with a friendly team”
- “Phil and Nik were GREAT!!!!”
- “Educational activities were very beneficial”
- “Brilliant day! Thank you very much”
We also enjoyed ourselves and found the week most rewarding on a host of levels!
We hope to see you all again soon.
Phil and Inca.